Dating in century village
Holmes Chapel has developed from a small village at a cross roads on the main route from London to Lancashire, catering for travellers at its inns and serving the surrounding farming community.In its infancy it was known as Church Hulme but has also been known as Hulmes Chapel.Of the buildings which survived, the current church is the oldest dating from the 15th century.Although originally of timber frame construction, an extensive 18th century enlargement added the stone facing which can be seen today but the original church including its timber frames and roof are still intact and can be seen inside the current church.The northern boundary was originally formed by the old George and Dragon and the Bulls Head (demolished in 1948) which were either side of Knutsford Road.The old George and Dragon was demolished and rebuilt in its current location in 1970 to make way for the widening of Middlewich and Knutsford Roads.
A large number of societies and clubs are active in the village including the Victoria Club, the Holmes Chapel Music Society, two private Health Clubs and others too numerous to mention.
These links were further enhanced by the coming of the railways and more recently the M6.
The impact on Holmes Chapel has been a growth from about 400 residents in the 1800's to almost 6000 now and most of that growth has occurred since the 1950's.
In 1753 the village consisted of nineteen buildings, but in July of that year, fifteen were destroyed by fire; the Church, the Old Red Lion and two cottages survived.
Hence, most of the village buildings are no older than the 18th century.
Search for dating in century village:
Today the name Church Hulme is mainly used for the ecclesiastical Parish of Church Hulme, made up of the townships of Holmes Chapel, Cranage and Cotton.